Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Stupid" People (another quick one)

Fri, September 18, 2009 at 12:49pm

One or more members of my current household enjoy watching these "court" programs. (Insert cheap "Rain Man" joke here, if you must.)

I have to leave the room.

Not for the reason you make think, based on my attention grabbing subject line. You know how they say the things that bug you most about other people are often the things you like least about yourself?

Well...

I just wanna SMACK Judge Judy!

OK granted, she deals with difficult people on a regular basis They can also be clueless at times. That doesn't mean I EXCUSE the way she handles these people, but it helps me tried to UNDERSTAND it.

Then, a thought crossed my mind.

When faced with what may appear to you as a "stupid" person, if you belittle them, and condescend to them...etc., exactly what purpose does that serve?

Even if that person may happen to be "stupid," or perhaps even less intelligent than you, the chances are pretty good that they're just smart enough to be aware of that limitation. Your bringing it to their attention is most likely NOT helping the situation.

I believe it's called treating the other person with respect - a policy I've recently tried to adopt - which seems to be working out ok for me so far.

And re: Judge Judy, I know there are undoubtedly more people who enjoy her than who don't, and I have the option to change the station. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment